Re: Moving Directory help

Dan Track wrote:
I've got /var in the root filesystem. What I would like to do is move
it to a new separate partition. I've created the partition but when I
mount /var onto it /var is empty. If I umount it I can see all the
directories again e.g /var/log. Can someone please tell me why this is
happening and find a way round this?

This is happening because you are mounting a new, empty partition on /var, which hides everything underneath it. You will need to move all of the existing /var to the new partition, and that's something you probably want to do in single-user mode.

Paul.