FC5 system() call

Morning all,

Using FC3 life is good.  I compile up my code on FC5 with gcc-4.1.1 and
all of a sudden the system() call is broken.

The code:

int num_proc = system("cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c processor >>
/dev/null 2>&!");

On every FC3 machine we've run on, this works fine and returns 1, 2 or
4.

Likewise on every FC5 machine we've ever run on, it returns -1, nothing
else.  The man page for system() hasn't changed and I can't find any
other information about it.

Any ideas?

:b!

Brian D. McGrew { brian visionpro com || brian doubledimension com }
--
> This is a test.  This is only a test!
  Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been
  told to cancel this test and seek professional assistance!