Swap Space Not Being Used?

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:00:21 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
> Hi Rick!
> >
> > Lets go back a bit.  What is in /etc/fstab?
> > # Mine is a bit strange me doing quad boot FC5, Ubuntu, Suse, and Sun.
> > tod at tod-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> > /dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> > /dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
> > /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> > # and so you feel more at home:
> > tod at tod-desktop:~$ free -m
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> > Mem:           630        620         10          0         71        204
> > -/+ buffers/cache:        344        286
> > Swap:         1287         18       1268
> > tod at tod-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -i swap
> > [17179635.188000] Adding 1318456k swap on /dev/hda2.  Priority:-1
> > extents:1 across:1318456k
> > Is the device in fstab what you want and will the options defined
> > work?  In my case /dev/hda2 was made and chosen by Solaris and I
> > simply copied, pasted the line in Solaris to this Ubunut fstab.
> > Anyway, I think it is likely fstab will have a clue.
> >
> > Good Hunting!
> >
> > Tod
> >

> I did post the fstab information before but it was probably missed. Here
> it is again:
>
> [chippy at ophth-bilora ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> /dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> /dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> 0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-hda6         swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/hda2               /mnt/windows            ntfs    ro,umask=0222
> 0 0
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> I'm going to try what Michael Warfield suggested:
>
> mkswap -L "SWAP-hda6" /dev/hda6
>
> I'll reboot and report back. Thanks.
>
> Rick B.
>
> --

Hi Rick Bilonick!

To me it looks like you could use Michael H. Warfield's suggested:
"mkswap -L SWAP-hda6 /dev/hda6" to replace the make swap statement
currently in rc.sysinit, ; or;

 /dev/hda6     none          swap    sw              0       0

could replace the swap line in fstab.  Either would probably work.
Both should survive boot.

Good hunting!

Tod