headless conf loses a cpu

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 23:23:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 15:54 +0100, T. Horsnell wrote:

> >[ snip]
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >> Terry.
> >>

> >Weird!
> >A. Can you access the machine BIOS from a serial port?
>
> This will take me a while to find cable/connectors. In the meantime:
>
> >B. Can you upload the output of /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg
> >with and w/o a VGA?

Its 2am here and I'm a bit sleepy so I may be just guessing here... I'll
give your logs another read tomorrow... Maybe I'll find something
interesting.

Anyways, of the top of my head it seems that you board/BIOS goes into
some weird safe mode, disabling the dual core, when the VGA card is
removed. I'd venture to guess that this board was never designed to
operate fully head-less.

If this is indeed true I'd suggest you reinstall the VGA and leave it
disconnected.
Nothing stops you from having a VGA card -and- having the
grub/kernel/console output redirected to a serial console.

Gilboa