LVM -- removing logical volumes from a file system

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Sat Sep 23 00:55:26 UTC 2006

On 2006/09/23, at 7:46, tokyoi at mac.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off managing
> the partitions on my system (fully updated FC5, KDE) myself, rather
> than wandering through the ethereal

ethereal? That's a separate project. <grin/>

> reaches of the LV system. The GUI is a dead loss, not least because
> it keeps telling me that elements of the system are uninitialized
> when I am actually using them on a daily basis.

I also find it to be somewhat counter-intuitive.

> The command-line LVM programme is more appealing but I am not
> really sure as to what will happen to my system -- as in the
> physical bits and bobs -- if I tell lvm to remove a volume. Am I
> right in thinking that the various commands to remove volumes
> simply mean that logical volume management is disabled and that the
> data remains intact, for me to administer it again via fdisk and /
> etc/fstab?

I don't think so. At least, I don't think LVM builds partitions of
the same kind as fdisk, nor do I think they are of the same kind as
MSDOS/Windows "extended" logical partitions.

I think the data itself isn't usually erased or changed, but I
wouldn't depend on being able to assemble an equivalent partition
structure with fdisk, or with any other means I know of.

> I have more backups than Soft Mick but would rather leave them as
> an unused comfort zone. I have looked through the man pages and the
> like but would appreciate confirmation from those who are more
> knowledgeable than I.

I would not expect to not use the backups.

I couldn't use LVM in FC3 or 4, but FC5 seems to work better. I don't
remember exactly what I did to get around that uninitialized warning,
or whether I did. What I did to figure it out was use my second drive
(that I now have hanging off a different controller) to experiment
with until I got a feel of what LVM does.