Re: fixing a box where the hard disc may failed

Tim wrote:
> [root box ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc
> dd: writing to `/dev/hdc': Input/output error
> 23953097+0 records in
> 23953096+0 records out

Whatever else smart says, *that* means either that the drive isn't
capable of remapping bad sectors on write (bad), or that the drive has
run out of spare sectors to remap in (worse).

The usual advice here is that the drive *is* failing. I suspect you've
sent more time on it than the drive justifies.

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | "This was, apparently, beyond her ken.
aprilcottage.co.uk | So far beyond her ken that she was well into barbie