Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Sun Sep 24 13:05:45 UTC 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Sunday September 24 2006 4:30 am, Joel Rees wrote:
>> But you did notice that we had two people on this list offer their
>> own
>> experience with data corruption that they attributed to using
>> master and
>> slave together. I have to admit, I don't know for positive that they
>> were able to clear all the other potential factors, but then we also
>> don't know for positive that people who have trouble using cable
>> select
>> or people who have trouble when not using cable select have
>> cleared all
>> the other contributing factors.
>
> Yes, and both those people provided very specific detailed
> instances and
> descriptions of their issue, which is what I was objecting to in
> your posts.
> I actually know myself of a couple of very obscure configurations
> with very
> specific kinds of hardware/software where the M/S system breaks
> down, but
> these instances are far from the norm. I would place Ric's example
> in that
> same category. James' example was of something that existed in the
> past, a
> controller that is "now obsolete" as he put it.

Well, how do you know that the original poster on this subthread has
what you call normal hardware?Do you have a list of drive and
controller combinations that are golden together? Do you know for
sure that guy has two drives that are okay together on the controller
he's hanging them on? Do you have a test suite for him so that he can
get a level of confidence that his configuration is okay? Can you
explain every instance of corruption that's reported on the web?

It's been fun chatting, but I have to work tomorrow, and I still
haven't finished restoring my family's e-mail rules on this box. I've
stated my opinions, you've attacked them, my opinions are unchanged,
but I'm gonna let this thread drop.