Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:28:35 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> How do I print to a remote CUPS printer
> from machines on which I am not root?
> On the remote machine, FC5, I am root.
> On the clients, FreeBSD and FC3, I am not root,
> but can open TCP ports.
> Is there a nonroot IPP client that can
> be used to print on a remote printer?
>
> --
> Mike   hennebry web cs ndsu NoDak edu
> "it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."
>                                                       --  Daniel Jackson

On the CUPS server you must make the print queues shared. The clients'
CUPS will automatically see the shared queues on the network.

On the server, go to System->Administration->Printing, click on the
queue you want to share, then Edit, etc.

Oh, and you must have port 631 tcp and udp open on the CUPS server.