Advice managing home directories

I'm looking for advice on managing my home directories on my home network. I have various flavors of mostly Fedora on various computers and sometimes on various partitions on the same computer. I'm trying to figure out the most convenient way to combine what's common between them with what's unique to each installation.

It would be trivial if I could put all the common stuff in a single directory, like a "My Documents" in Windoze. I could NFS-mount from my main server and link that directory into each home directory.

However, a number of applications seem to want put their configuration and data in dot directories directly in the home directory. jpilot and thunderbird are two examples. At this point I am identifying these applications and creating links. The more applications and the more installations, the more tedious and error-prone this approach becomes. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson