Advice managing home directories

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 24 19:21:08 UTC 2006

I'm looking for advice on managing my home directories on my home
network. I have various flavors of mostly Fedora on various computers
and sometimes on various partitions on the same computer. I'm trying to
figure out the most convenient way to combine what's common between them
with what's unique to each installation.

It would be trivial if I could put all the common stuff in a single
directory, like a "My Documents" in Windoze. I could NFS-mount from my
main server and link that directory into each home directory.

However, a number of applications seem to want put their configuration
and data in dot directories directly in the home directory. jpilot and
thunderbird are two examples. At this point I am identifying these
applications and creating links. The more applications and the more
installations, the more tedious and error-prone this approach becomes.
Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson