yum losing it´s flavour?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Sep 24 19:43:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Sunday September 24 2006 2:52 pm, Ric Moore wrote:
>> That would be sweet. FYI, when yum updated the kernel, there was no
>> nvidia driver out, so it blew up.
>
> FYI Ric: I'm currently running:
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp
> And the update for the NVIDIA module has been installed in the past days
> (earlier in this week as I recall) - I don't have big issues with running the
> NV driver for a few days, so I just live with the situation. If I were doing
> serious video editing on this machine, I'd be singing a different tune, and
> that's coming...

Of course, there's nothing that requires you to start *using* a kernel
update immediately when it's installed.  The previous kernel is not
deleted, so you can select it from GRUB by hand until the driver update
comes out.  Alternatively, you can set UPDATEDEFAULT=no in
/etc/sysconfig/kernel.  Then installing a new kernel won't make it the
default in GRUB.  You can reboot normally and get the old kernel until the
driver is released, then update /etc/grub.conf yourself.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu