network went ape with update??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 24 20:28:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 14:44 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> I cannot find bind-config at all on the fedora site and the network
> setup thingie seems haywire. Any clue where to find the package? It's
> killing me to use bellsouth DSL dynamically when I'm paying for
> static.

What are you wanting to do that you think "bind-config" provides, and
how does this relate to a static/dynamic IP for yourself?  What
precisely are you wanting to do?

I've been playing with FC5 today, and I don't have a bind-config...

[tim at gonzales ~]$ rpm -qa \*bind\*
ypbind-1.19-1
bind-libs-9.3.2-33.fc5
bind-9.3.2-33.fc5
bind-utils-9.3.2-33.fc5

... on my system.  I just hand-edited my /etc/named.conf file to include
some local zones I've put on my system.  Seems to be working fine as far
as I can tell.

I've used the GUI tool for configuring BIND, before (on FC4).  I found
it a diabolical monstrosity, and you needed to know how to
hand-configure DNS to know what to do with it, anyway.  So why bother
with the convoluted tool?

I read messages from the public lists.