ACPI, APM daemons

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 24 21:01:39 UTC 2006

Dana Priesing wrote:
> Looking at the services running on my notebook running FC5 on a P4.  Is
> it necessary to have both acpid and apmd running?  Doesn't acpi replace
> apm?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dana in Philly

Only one will run. Because you can have ether APM or ACPI support,
the service for the support being used runs, and the other service
aborts. The reason to have both services enabled is so that if you
use the boot command line to change between them, the correct
service runs. It also helps if you move the hard drive to another
system, and it supports a different power management then the system
you installed it on. Then there are the systems where ACPI and/or
APM is broken.

Once I have a system up and runningm I normally turn off the service
that is not being used, but it does not slow booting down much to
have both enabled.

Mikkel