dual-boot attempt (crossposted to both fedora and kubuntu lists)

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Sep 25 02:13:22 UTC 2006

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am trying to make a dual boot with FC5 and Kubunut 6.06.1
>
> I installed FC 5 first on hda1, and it was good.
> then installed Kubunut on hda2, booted into kubu, and all seemed good, too.
> But then, attempt to reboot did not give me access to Fedora.
> So I edited /grug/menu.lst, and attempted to reboot, found the fedora
> entry and tried to boot it, and got a kernel panic.
> So I reinstalled the FC5, and, looked good, again (oddly, it seems to
> have just
> repaired the previous install, because what little data I had on the
> drive, and settings like wallpaper, were still in place)
> ...But now I can´t boot kubuntu...
> Grub only has an empty entry for Kubu (no kernel and init paramanters,
> etc).
> So I mounted the kubu partition, cd-ed to /boot therein, and find
> nothing in there.
> It appears that when installing Fedora, it hosed the /boot of the kubu
> install when I told grub to include kubu.
>
> What do I have to do to get these two to play nice?
>
> tony
> --
> http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
> Translating & Interpreting
> English, Français, Português & Español

Well I have FC5, FC6T3, Ubuntu & Windows all playing fairly nice, so you
know it's possible.
The easiest way I find to do this is to boot normally (it doesn't make
any difference if it is into FC or Ubuntu) edit the grub.conf (or
grub.menu if Ubuntu) tell Grub to boot to the other system the same way
you tell it to dual boot windows.  Note that you need to know where you
installed grub in each OS!

Here is how mine is set up.  FC5 is in hda5 (/boot is hda1)

the system will boot into FC5 so it's grub.conf is:

title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=792 quiet rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
title Rawhide
        rootnoverify (hd0,9)
        chainloader +1
title Windows 2K
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1
title Ubuntu Edgy Eft Knot 2
        rootnoverify (hd0,4)
        chainloader +1

The Ubuntu distro is hda5 which is the '/' dir and has /boot under it
(no seperate partition) so anyway when I installed FC6 or Ubuntu, I had
grub installed to the '/' directory rather than the MBR then I knew
where to chain grub to, Get it?

Scott