Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 09:20:09 UTC 2006

On 20/09/06, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> I think that this issue is out of the hands of the ISP anyways.  They
> don't know anything but Windoze but do know how to ensure that the modem
> is working.  It sounds like the modem is working.

I do believe that the modem is working. I have many lost packets and I
think that the router is responsible. I'd like to eliminate it as a
potential source of problems. Also, my mother-in-law has received an
old computer that's about to have windows 2000either going to get
Fedora or Kubuntu. She's not about to buy a modem, and I'd like to
connect her to the 'net when I set up her machine. So I need to know
how to do that without a router.

> There should have been a CD or manual with the modem.  In the manual,
> there should be a description of how to connect to the modem with your
> browser of choice.

The modem was intalled by a technician of the phone company. I got
nothing but a bill.

> My ISP has a customized modem that is a modified D-Link.  With a bit of
> digging, I found that all the D-Link settings are available, just needed
> a bit of work.  Of course the ISP was lost as soon as I said I used Linux.
>
> Now if you can connect through the modem, then it is working.  If you
> cannot, then you need to find what IP address is working for that modem.
>
> It should be in the 192.168.x.x range.  My two different routers used
> 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for their web setup.  You also have to ensure
> that your computer IP address and netmask are configured to work within
> the range of your router.  If your router is using 192.168.1.1, your
> computer will have to have an IP address of 192.168.1.x with a netmask
> of 255.255.255.0.  I don't know but you may be able to setup a netmask
> of 255.255.0.0 that will allow you to connect to all the 192.168.x.x range.

Thanks. Can I access the modem while connected through the router, or
would I need to connect to the modem directly to access the control
panel?

Dotan Cohen
http://gmail-com.com