Alsa sound issuer / restart in fedora

hopey esperanza.glass at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 09:38:34 UTC 2006

Hi, I've got soundblaster live! audiocard and I'm trying to use it in
combination with logitech Z-650 surround speakers. The digital coaxial
output doesn't seem to work at all. All I get is just some noise.

speaker-test -c 6 -Dplughw:0,0

I don't know if it is even possible to get the digital sound working
with logitech speakers. Are the coaxial plugs similar in these
devices?

In analog setup with speaker-test -c 6 -D surround51 doesn't give
center or LFE channel. There is something funny going on in the
middle/LFE/digital out plug...

speaker-test -c 6 -D surround51

speaker-test 1.0.11rc2

Playback device is surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 16 to 16384
Periods = 4
Buffer time size 2525
To choose buffer_size = 16384
To choose period_size = 4096
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
 4 - Center
 1 - Front Right
 3 - Rear Right
 2 - Rear Left
 5 - LFE

Last problem is a question of how can I restart alsa in fedora core 5?
It used to be in /etc/rc.d/init/alsasomething but I can't find any
kind of script there anymore. Now if and when my alsa hangs, the only
way to deal with the situation is to reboot the pc. This is too WinME
solution. How can I reboot alsa? Could we get the script back where it
should be? Thanks for your time and patience.

hopey