how to access remote CUPS printer?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 14:15:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 21:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 24 September 2006 17:00, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> On the CUPS server you must make the print queues shared. The clients'
> >> CUPS will automatically see the shared queues on the network.
> >>
> >> On the server, go to System->Administration->Printing, click on the
> >> queue you want to share, then Edit, etc.
> >>
> >> Oh, and you must have port 631 tcp and udp open on the CUPS server.
> >
> >That is absolutely the wrong way to share printers using CUPS. All
> > printers on the same lan as the server can print to the server's
> > printers by default. No configuration is required.
> >

> Tell that to the cupsys install on my kubuntu-6.06.1 box, Aaron.  I've now
> spent prolly 12 hours over several weeks trying to get it to see the 4
> printer profiles shared to the rest of my 192.168 network out of this box.
> Its blind.

I would be glad to. I do this on my home network which almost the same
configuration. Show me you cupd.conf file and you client.conf and maybe
I can help you. It works like a charm but I admit I had some trouble
configuring the cupsd.conf file at first.  Of course this is a fedora
list and I don't use kubantu.
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net