RAID1 under GRUB Configuration Help Needed

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Mon Sep 25 13:55:53 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 13:54 -0400, Steven Stromer wrote:
>> I have been closely following a great HOWTO at:
>> http://howtos.linuxbroker.com/howtoreader.shtml?file=Linux-Promise-RAID1-HOWTO.html
>>
>> to install a Promise FastTrack66 hardware RAID card into my FC5 box for
>> RAID1. I have managed to plow through the steps up to editing lilo.conf,
>> but FC5 uses GRUB as the default bootloader. Would anyone be able to
>> walk me through the steps for editing grub.conf from the point where
>> this article focuses on lilo.conf?
>>
>> I have read the GRUB documentation, as well as the documentation on a
>> few other forums, but am still struggling a bit, and don't want to go
>> off in the wrong direction at this point (if I haven't already)!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steven Stromer
>>

> OT question: FastTrack66 is a semi-hardware RAID (read: Most of the work
> is being handled by the CPU) and it is far from being fast//stable/etc.
> Why not setup a fully software RAID setup instead?
>
> Gilboa

I have a bunch of identical Pentium III boxes here in mint condition. I
am trying to use them to the best of their humble ability, but only with
the hardware I have on hand; I don't want to make any financial
investment into them. I have a bunch of brand new FastTrack66 cards
sitting around. They are faster than the controllers on the
motherboards, as I undestand, I can attach each drive to a separate
channel, and the only other option is to throw the cards away. I haven't
had any negative experiences with these controllers, and they have only
glowing reviews on older web pages. Is there a history of problems that
I should know about? Finally, I am enjoying learning more about drives
and drive configuration during this process. So far, it has been very
educational for me. If you think it's a terrible idea to run these, I'll
take your advisement, but if you agree with my reasoning for using them,
I'd really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,
Steven