Re: su

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 15:45 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
After all that, if it works, please never use su the way you described
above. At the very least use su - -c etc...

Having seen that in another topic, made me wonder about something I'm
doing.  My /etc/rc.local file has a string of lines in it like the
following:  su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

Should I be doing it like this, instead:
su - tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

Or even:

/sbin/runuser tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

Runuser is preferred to su for this sort of application - most of the initscripts that run things as other users use runuser to do the switch.

Paul.