how to access remote CUPS printer?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 13:44:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 19:09 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Why would I have to be root on the client?
> > > I'm pretty sure that ordinary users
> > > have permission to TCP to remote ports.
> > > Are other permissions needed on the client side?
> > You cannot edit client.conf uless you are root on the clients.
>
> Do I have to use software that uses client.conf ?
FC5 supports only cups printing as part of the distribution. client.conf
is a cups configuration file. Obviously it must in principle be possible
to install a whole different printing system but how easy that is is a
mystery.

> Suppose I do something silly, like getting copies of printing
> software source, replacing things like /etc with /home/me/etc
> and recompiling.
> Would I get something that would let me print to a remote printer?
>
> I suspect that there might be snags
> that might make it not worth the effort.
> The first would be figuring out what source I needed.
> I suspect that I would also have to replace local port numbers
> to avoid collisions with the system printer demon(s).
>
> Whether or not it would be worth it, I suspect it would be
> easier than writing an IPP client from scratch.
>
> --
> Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."
>                                                       --  Daniel Jackson

Not SENSUOUS ... only "FROLICSOME" ... and in need of DENTAL WORK ... in
PAIN!!!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net