Re: No logging to /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure

redhatdude bellsouth net wrote:
Hi,
After a few days of not checking the logs, I did today and to my surprise messages and secure are not getting anything. I've updated my FC5 many times and I can't really tell when this started to happen. I check other logs like /var/log/audit/audit.log and it works, but secure and messages don't.
Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
EJ

I've had the same problem. but on a CentOS 4.3 system. In my case, it's something to do with selinux... If I force a relabel, the problem goes away. Since it's easy enough to do that (by starting system-config-securitylevel, selecting the selinux tab, and checking the "force relabel on reboot"), I just do that rather than find out what the real problem is. After I reboot and selinux relabels all the files to the correct security context, /var/log/messages starts getting messages again.

BTW, I think you can force a relabel by creating a file called /.autorelabel. I think selinux uses that file to signal a relabel, but I usually use the system-config-securitylevel widget to do it.

HTH

--
Paul Kloves