No logging to /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure

Paul Kloves lists at houston.rr.com
Tue Sep 26 13:55:23 UTC 2006

redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi,
> After a few days of not checking the logs, I did today and to my
> surprise messages and secure are not getting anything.
> I've updated my FC5 many times and I can't really tell when this started
> to happen. I check other logs like /var/log/audit/audit.log and it
> works, but secure and messages don't.
> Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
> EJ

I've had the same problem. but on a CentOS 4.3 system.  In my case, it's
something to do with selinux... If I force a relabel, the problem goes
away.  Since it's easy enough to do that (by starting
system-config-securitylevel, selecting the selinux tab, and checking the
"force relabel on reboot"), I just do that rather than find out what the
real problem is.  After I reboot and selinux relabels all the files to
the correct security context, /var/log/messages starts getting messages
again.

BTW, I think you can force a relabel by creating a file called
/.autorelabel.  I think selinux uses that file to signal a relabel, but
I usually use the system-config-securitylevel widget to do it.

HTH

--
Paul Kloves