Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

I'm looking for suggestions for software to rip CD's..
I'm also looking for comments on the relative advantages of ripping to mp3 versus wav files and the 'best' software to play those files back from the harddrive. I am presently using aplay in a for loop script but I need something better. My present wav files were ripped with cdda2wav under OS/2. what is the equivalent for linux/Fedora?
Suggestions please.

             R. Geoffrey Newbury
       Helping with the HTTP issue