RAID1 under GRUB Configuration Help Needed

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Sep 26 20:19:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:55:53 -0400,
  Steven Stromer <filter at stevenstromer.com> wrote:
> I have a bunch of identical Pentium III boxes here in mint condition. I
> am trying to use them to the best of their humble ability, but only with
> the hardware I have on hand; I don't want to make any financial
> investment into them. I have a bunch of brand new FastTrack66 cards
> sitting around. They are faster than the controllers on the
> motherboards, as I undestand, I can attach each drive to a separate
> channel, and the only other option is to throw the cards away. I haven't
> had any negative experiences with these controllers, and they have only
> glowing reviews on older web pages. Is there a history of problems that
> I should know about? Finally, I am enjoying learning more about drives
> and drive configuration during this process. So far, it has been very
> educational for me. If you think it's a terrible idea to run these, I'll
> take your advisement, but if you agree with my reasoning for using them,
> I'd really appreciate your assistance.

Can the controller cards be used without turning on raid? If so doing that and
using software raid is probably your best option.
You probably don't want to be tied to the old raid cards unless you plan
on using a number of these machines just for spare parts. Or you are willing
to rebuld arrays and load from backup tape when one fails and you don't
have an identical controller card to replace it with.