Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 28 00:24:23 UTC 2006

Bruno Wolff III:
>> You really should refer to this codec as Vorbis, not Ogg.

Yes, and no.  I suppose it depends on whether the device cares more
about the container or the encoding.  Generally people talk about the
files, rather than the codecs.  So an ogg file is an ogg file.  XMMS may
play an ogg file encoded in more than one way.  I don't know whether
it'd play vorbis data outside of an ogg file.

Robin Laing wrote:
> Now looking at the wiki site, I could encode in flac and wrap it with
> ogg and it might play in my iRiver.  If this is true, I would be
> happy.

Probably not.  They probably assume ogg files are encoded with vorbis,
like most of us do, and not have any decoders for something else.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.