How to recover Fedora Core 5?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 12:20:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 03:31 +0000, Vinicius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed a Windows XP on another partition than my FC5. The system boot
> on Windows. I'm unable to do a dual-boot FC5 and XP.
> The steps followed are below:
>
> 1. Boot from DVD, then on the prompt: linux rescue;
> 2. from the rescue mode prompt: chroot /mnt/sysimage;
> 3. then: /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda.
>
> So, occurs an error about stage1 incomplete or something like that.
>
> Any ideas, please?
>

> TIA,
> Vinicius.

You might try this instead of the grub-install. Let us assume that your
linux is on partition 2.
grub
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> quit

then reboot

The 1 in the root command refers to partition 2 since grub numbers
partitions starting at 0.

When I sell liquor, it's called bootlegging; when my patrons serve it on
silver trays on Lake Shore Drive, it's called hospitality. -- Al Capone
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net