Strange ssh behaviour

This might be a bit off topic, but I'm at my wits' end. I have a server that uses PAM/LDAP for authentication. A recent update broke PAM and took me a couple of days to fix. But now, when I ssh into the box, I get no output from any commands. su,ls,cat all just return to the prompt without showing me any output. I can env and echo fine and tab completion works, so I know the shell is okay. I just don't have any clue on what to try next.
Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney