passwd -u and sshd question - modified

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Sep 28 14:29:27 UTC 2006

weird: suppose, a user has been locked with passwd -l. But if this user
has the possibility to ssh to this host (where he is locked) without
password query, then he can login although he has been locked. I guess
this may be controlled by /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

How to prevent from this?

All hints are welcome.

Are you logging in using ssh with your key already on the host? i.e., when
you log in using ssh, does it ask you for the password or does it just let
you in because the user's key has been installed at the remoet end?

steveo at syslang.net