[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Netgear GA311 (RealTek 8169 chipset) PCI network card and fc5



On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:10 +0100, Greg Frith wrote:
> 
> On 28 Sep 2006, at 18:53, Norm wrote:
> 
> > On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:32:04 +0100
> > Greg Frith <gfrith gmail com> wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > On 28 Sep 2006, at 18:25, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > 
> > > 
> > > > On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 16:49 +0100, Greg Frith wrote:
> > > > > [snip]
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > You must be root to do the "rpm -Uvh" (I'd recommend "rpm
> > > > -ivh").   
> > > > Also
> > > > note that the "kernel-devel" RPM is NOT the kernel source RPM.
> > > > It
> > > > is only the kernel headers..and is usually enough to build most
> > > > 3rd
> > > > party drivers.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Thank Rick,
> > > 
> > > 
> > > My apologies, I have installed the kernel-devel package, i get
> > > the  
> > > error when trying to install kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm.  I
> > > am  
> > > also doing this as root.  So,
> > > 
> > > 
> > > [root wharfe]: rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm
> > > error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > > - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
> > > > rstevens vitalstream com -
> > > > - VitalStream, Inc.
> > > > http://www.vitalstream.com -
> > > > -
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > Ran into a problem setting up an ether net bridge in an old
> > computer.
> > My guess in the end is the problem was actually a problem associated
> > with the mother board chipset or bios rather than any of the cards I
> > was using or the method.  I might have been able to beat the problem
> > by
> > going into the kernel but decided it was simpler to just not do it.
> > My
> > main point is your challenge may be more an issue related to the age
> > of
> > the computer rather than the kernel/bios or the cards being used.
> > If
> > you can try to find a "less old" computer to run things on
> > Norm
> > 
> > 
> Thanks for your comments Norm.  Unfortunately (for me) i think there
> may be a lot of sense in what you say.  I did however get the wireless
> cad working in the end, after compiling ndiswrapper and then using
> this to load a Win32 driver.  There was i thinking that any old box
> would be able to cope with an ethernet card.  BTW, the card is
> identified correctly in an 'lspci', and modprobe gives no errors when
> loading the r8169 driver.

I  noted that you are using the 2.6.15-2054 kernel.
Is there a reason that you have not updated to take advantage of the
newer and better drivers in the later kernels?

For me, installing a wireless adapter in a fully updated FC5 system
caused me a lot of stress because I had previously used ndiswrapper with
that exact same adapter on the 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 kernels.  The updated
2.6.17 kernel broke ndiswrapper because it was loading the drivers for
the adapter.

I simply had to identify how to get the firmware for the adapter to load
and remove ndiswrapper entirely. But the real problem was getting it
through my thick skull that the open source driver would actually work
and I no longer needed ndiswrapper.  ;-))

I think the 8169 card may require updates that are newer than the 2.6.15
kernel as well.



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]