Re: Dual boot problem

Grumpy_Penguin wrote:
I have Kubuntu 6.06.1 amd 64 version installed on HDa 80 GB
I installed Fedora Core 6 64 bit version on HDb 300 Gb
when I rebooted grub could not find FC 6
Any idea what I did wrong?
The only thing you did 'wrong' was not to decide in advance who gets to control grub. :)

Here is how you 'fix' it.
Boot into KUbuntu.
Mount your FC6 boot partition on /mnt
# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
# cd /mnt/grub
# cat grub.conf

examine the indicated default boot record.
copy that boot record (4 lines) into /etc/grub.conf

all done!

Next time you boot, your option for Fedora will show.

Problem:
The MBR is set to read grub options from the primary source, hd0,0. It doesn't know about your Fedora install. Tell it about Fedora by modifying /etc/grub.conf on the primary.