intel core 2 duo

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Sep 29 03:47:03 UTC 2006

Louis Garcia wrote:
> Just got my hands on a laptop with this chip. Any difference installing
> i386 or x86_64 version of fedora? I've heard fedora had a problem with
> this new chip?
>
> -Louis

There is NO advantage installing a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU that has
extended features to EMULATE AMD 64 bit instructions.  Other than memory
address space and a few other things that will never be warranted on
today's laptops.

Stick with 32 bit Fedora on all intel CPU platforms except itanic.  You
will be fine.

Having said that, I would also propound that the opposite is true for
AMD 64 bit CPU platforms.  You can lose up to 15 percent (from my own
personal tests) performance by running a 32 bit made for intel
instruction set on AMD CPUs, because it has to EMULATE 32 bit instructions.

That is one of the reasons I always cringe at benchmarks done in 32 bit
MS Windows on multi CPU platforms comparing AMD vs intel.  There are
soooo many things wrong with that. :)

Good luck with your new laptop.  You can check recent posts, but the
trouble areas may include:

Wireless card -- Brodcom chipsets are just beginning to be supported.
Multi Card reader with Ricoh chipset -- just got put into upstream
kernel, and still lacks SD support.
Display -- Fedora will probably NOT get the display right, but
system-config-display, hardware tab, select LCD(resolution of display)
as display type, then back to general tab to set resolution.
GNOME defaults to suspend for everything.
System/Preferences/More Preferences/Power management -- in every tab,
change suspend to Do Nothing.  Play with suspend outside of GNOME before
turning these back on.