Swap space question

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 13:48:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 16:19 +0300, nicolas angel wrote:
> Hi,  i would to ask something about swap space:
>
>  i quote from the book "How Linux Works—What Every Super-User Should
> Know"
>
> "Reserve two to five times as much disk space as you have real memory
> for swap. It doesn't make sense to go any lower, because you may
> actually risk running out of memory. If you go higher and actually
> intend to use all of this swap space, you will likely suffer serious
> performance problems because the system will spend all of its time
> swapping (a condition known as thrashing). "
>
> i can't understand why if create a really big swap partition i will
> have a performance decrease????It seems to me
>  that in the worst case scenario, i will be throwing disk space
> [because the system will never use the swap partition if it doesn't
> need it......why this would have a negative impact on the
> system......]

I think a lot of documentation was written in the days of 8 megs of
memory. I remember being the envy of the computer club with 16megs. At
install I've just let Fedora set it up for me without asking.
...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/