smart package manager upchucking

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 2 04:54:08 UTC 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> writes:
>> I've now cleaned out teh /var/lib/rpm/__db* files and ran rebuilddb
>> twice now, but starting smart --gui, and asking it to update me get
>> this in the log window:
>
>Does "yum update" work correctly?  If it also objects, it would point
>to some rpm db problem.

I haven't tried that, but using yumex 1.92 as a last ditch, I attempted to
have it update only azureus, but it cannot be co-erced into ignoring the
openoffice-2.2 I put in a few days ago, and insists on overwriting it
with 2.0.4, so I gave that up too.  OOo-2.2 is sweet, just ignore the jre
in the tarball and that all fits rather nicely.

But yum just did it, although it drug in kmdl stuff like a hungry cat in
the night, for kernels I don't have on the system AFAIK.

Probably something python related.

Since then I'm also getting a message from k3b when I try to burn a disk,
claiming that mmap can't get about 33.5megs of buffer memory, I assume
for its circular write buffer, and I'd sure like to get that fixed.
There's a gig of ram in this box and it hasn't touched swap in months.

I have another box in the shop that I need to repair with a livedvd boot,
but I can't burn the friggin dvd now.

Does anyone have a clue what that might be?  selinux is disabled.

>There seems to be a bug that leaves the rpm db scrambled.  It happened
>a year ago and a month ago.  The first time the db was permanently
>scrambled and I just waited till FC6 came out to reinstall from
>scratch.  The second time rebuilddb seemed to fix everything up well
>enough to allow "yum update" to work.  I always did wonder if I was
>missing something.  Oh well, come f7 I'll reinstall from scratch again
>and that problem will be swept under the rug.

I've had it scrambled several times, usually from pushing yumex to do
something before it was done with the last operation.  Its a bit touchy
that way...

Thanks Wolfgang.

--
Cheers, Gene