switching off beep for the system[SOLVED] bullshit!

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 7 16:21:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, [ISO-8859-15] François Patte wrote:

> François Patte a écrit :
>> Bonsoir,
>>
>> I found how to switch off the beep for a user, I did not find how to
>> stop it for the system: everytime the fedora splash screen comes up at
>> boot time you are able to disturb everybody working peacefully in the
>> library where you have come to work...
>>
>> Why these things are not switched off by default?
>
> there is kernel module rsponsible for this: pcspkr
>
> in /etc/modprobe.conf add:
>
> alias pcspkr dummy
>

> I'm amazed: it is difficult to get a laptop suspend or hibernate, it is

Yes, wouldn't a consistent, standard mechanism for suspend/resume that all
manufacturers subscribe to be nice?

> difficult to have system-network-config available for a normal user (see
> my other posts) but someone somewhere is able to make you sweat your

NetworkManager (see responses to your other posts).

> guts out with a kernel module which is totally useless!

Does your laptop not have a mute switch or volume control?  Doesn't *that*
seem like the real design flaw?

Also, at some point I recall having the exact opposite problem.  The
pcspkr module was not loaded by default and I had to add it to
/etc/sysconfig/modules/ to get the beep when I wanted it (note that your
opinion about the usefulness/uselessness of the module is just that: your
opinion).  That might have been before FC6, though.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu