Alternatives to du

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Apr 10 16:19:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, alan wrote:

>>> Where else would such a program get the data? Elves?
>>

>> Man am I cranky this morning. Sorry for the tone. But the point stands. :)
>
> That sounds like an indicator of a bigger problem.  On an unraided 330GB
> drive, du takes a fraction of that to complete. (I would have to run a test
> to get actual times.)  Sounds like there is something else going on.

For 826Gigs, it took a little under 4 minutes.

Is all 350gigs in a single directory?  If you have 10,000+ files (not
certain on the actual number) in a single directory, file access slows
significantly.  (Under ext2/ext3.  I tend not to use other file systems
for my large mega collections of crap.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark