[Fedora] Re: RAID-1 Question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Apr 10 17:47:29 UTC 2007

DJ Delorie wrote:
> I prefer letting linux manage it.  That way, you can replace the
> motherboard or controller without losing your raid array.

    Well, as I'm looking at this, I started a RAID-1 build about an hour
ago (using the built-in raid controller) and it's at 31%, still
building.  The drives are 500 GiB SATA drives.  When adding drives
later, am I correct in assuming it's going to take just as long to build
again?

    And if I choose to go with a linux managed RAID, is it also going to
take as long to build the initial RAID and later when adding drives?

    The reason I ask is because we can't have this amount of down time
when doing this.  I need to be able to run this machine with minimal
downtime.  So I need to figure out a way to be able to add drives, grow
the RAID, and at the same time keep running while this is all
happening.  Sounds like having the BIOS manage the RAID is not the way
to go because it takes too long.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6