Good Beginner Distros (Was: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat)

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:32:21 UTC 2007

Sorry about that; I think my first response was somewhat overly sarcastic.
I'll cover the network and what I'm looking for.

First of all, the network administrator is me.  My desktop is technically
the server for the entire network, providing LDAP and NFS for the rest of
the computers (yes, I know using a desktop as a server is bad, but I need to
locate a small box to act as the server still).  My computer runs Fedora
Core 6, and I have no problem working with it.

Along with my computer, there is a Windows XP system and two Linux systems.
The Linux systems belong to users with somewhat different requirements; one
needs a Linux distro that's good with multimedia (Ipod, playing music,
sharing, etc.), and the other one needs a distro for a person who is willing
to learn some stuff, but is still not completely barebones.  Basically, he's
a Linux beginner but not entirely unfamiliar with the way the system works.

I'm looking for suggestions for filling the last two mentioned slots.  As I
mentioned before, I'm not 100% sure how to configure PAM to use LDAP outside
of a GUI, but I'm willing to learn if I can find the right distro.