X-server reinstall

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 20 01:27:04 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
>> A little background on my earlier post:
>>
>> Fedora is somewhat new to me, and it keeps changing all the time. It is
>> difficult keep track. Without the X-server, an ACPI message comes up,
>> screwing up my terminal.
>
>> ( The cpu is an AMD Athlon, which doesn't have the device the
>> kernel seems to be looking for. And I think the problem came
>> after some FC6 updates )
>> Ever tried to do anything sensible when each second pair of characters
>> you enter, get broken up by error messages ? I simply didn't know
>> about the problem, as the Xserver did cover it up.
>>
> You really should look at your logs, or at least read the email from
> logwatch...
>
>> "X" has been a problem over the years, especially with RH, as it
>> lacks the install option.  And this was the IMPORTANT subject I
>> wanted to pass on as an important feature that would make life
>> so much easier. I would like to post this request and suggestion
>> to the maintainers of the installation setup, but I am having
>> difficulties with even reading my email, so.. I wouldn't know
>> where to ship the note.
>>
> It lacks an install option? I could of sworn I had the option during
> install to install/setup X. I wonder why it is working? Or are you
> saying there should be an option to only install X when you run the
> installer? If so, Why?
>>                                 ---------------------
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> That is no where near being called  a crash. That's called removing
>>> your x server. You data and system are perfectly safe.
>>>
>> That is correct, but I have had some bad luck before, and I don't want
>> to end up in such disasters ever again. Fedora does base everything on the
>> graphical environment, and then it is even more IMPORTANT to have a user
>> friendly -reinstall X option.
>>
> yum groupinstall X
>
>> Personally I would like it to include options as to initial startup,
>> runlevels, etc. Not every platform have a workable X-server and other
>> circumstances. The problem now, is that it is impossible to keep track
>> of the many changes, the growing number of applications. Not every host
>> has a connection to the internet. So you do depend on the install CDs
>> and rescue disks.  If you should happen to work on some X-application,
>> or perform testing?  Well, imo this situation should be addressed, and
>> it would be beneficial for everybody.
>>
> You mean like the option of starting in the GUI mode in the standard
> install? Or are you talking about the options in the expert mode
> install? For adding packages later, there is the groupinstall
> options of yum. If you don't have a connection to the Internet, then
> Fedora is probably a bad choice for your distribution. There tent to
> be too many updates because of the type of distribution it is. But
> you can set up a local repository, (CDs/DVD's if necessary) or do a
> local install from yum.

> [...]

As mentioned earlier the original posting had more opinions and the
responders (myself included) elaborated on the other aspects more that
emphasizing the solution.

To get X back:
yum groupinstall "X Window System"

To get a windows manager, (KDE, GNOME, ETC:) the below will give you
gnome and its needed items again.
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Additional replies:

The idea for the rescue media is to install the GUI and Desktop manager
to the OS if missing or damaged. It would be a great option to add
options to the rescue disk to install on demand certain items from the
installation media at will. I believe since the intended environment for
a lot of programs are GUI dependent, it makes sense to add a feature for
these sort of user or application problems to be remedied. An Request
For Enhancement through bugzilla.redhat.com was suggested to propose the
idea to the developers.

Jim

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.