am I hacked?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00003 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 00:50:48 UTC 2007

Verily I say unto thee, that Martin Marques spake thusly:
> peter kostov escribió:
>>
>> I have logwatch installed, but I didn't know about it. Thanks for
>> pointing it out!
>
> Configure it and make it run. It helps alot!

AFAIK the default Fedora setup is to install and run logwatch using
cron, every day at 4:02am.

There should be a file:

/etc/cron.daily/0logwatch

If it's there, and crontab contains an entry for cron.daily, then that
should be all the configuring it needs.

> I personally see it very hard for an updated Linux system (any
> distribution that has updates of security issues) to get hacked.
> Normally you will see hacked servers due to outdated sshd or apache (but
> specially sshd), but not in an up2date system.

I have hundreds off ssh attacks every day. Just make sure you have a
*very* secure password (or don't forward ssh from the router).

I also use "denyhosts" which I've found extremely useful (it's in extras).

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 01:48:49 up 4 days, 23:20,  3 users,  load average: 0.78, 1.28, 1.06