SCSI hot-swap.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Apr 23 10:53:19 UTC 2007

Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó writes:

> Hi,
> I'm using an ARECA ARC-1220 RAID controller.
> I have set up a pass through which I use to make backups.
>
> Is it possible to make hot-swap of it in order to change the backup disk every
> day?
> Will the Linux detect the changed disk?

You did not indicate whether you're using this card's hardware RAID support,
or Linux softraid.

If you're using hardware RAID, check that card's documentation.  Generally
you should follow the hardware specific instructions to disable the disk,
then physically swap it, then do whatever needs to be done to get the card
to rebuild the drive.

With Linux softraid, there are a sequence of commands you need to issue to
take one of the disks out of the array.  Then, you can hot-swap it.  The new
drive needs to be manually partitions to match the layout of the other
drive, then another sequence of commands adds the drive back to the array,
and Linux will then rebuild it.