Question on MBR of SATA Raid 1 Software

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 01:14:56 UTC 2007

On 3/4/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:31:26 -0800,
>   Justin Zygmont <jzygmont at solarflow.net> wrote:
> > hi, what I did about this, was to install grub on the second HD:
> >
> > root (hd1,x)
> > find /boot/grub/stage1
> > setup (hd1)
>
> If you pull hd0 or it fails in a way where it isn't seen any more, just doing
> the above won't work. After doing the above to set things up on hd1, you
> should set the root back to hd0 and then do another setup(hd1). That way
> when this drive becomes hd0 after a failure, it will be able to find the
> files it needs.

I am just looking into this and from what I understand you have to
install grub on the second disk in a way where it thinks it is the
first disk. you do this with the device command:

device (hd0) /dev/sdb #make grub think hd0 is sdb rather than sda
root (hd0,x) # where x is the your systems root partition on hd0
(which is sdb now)
setup (hd0) # setup grub in hd0 (which is sdb now)

What I can't seem to do is get my RAID1 set to boot in the first
place. I tried to install F7test3 using the SiI 3112 controller (and
consequently dmraid) but it doesn't boot.
So I deleted the RAID set in the RAID BIOS and treated them as
separate drives and the installer says that my platform is unsupported
when I click the Software RAID button in the partitioning step. Has
anyone had success with this setup with previous Fedora releases?
Could I have an old buggy BIOS firmware?

/Mike