OT: corrupted FATs on an external drive

peter kostov fedora at light-bg.com
Sun Apr 1 13:12:10 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> peter kostov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Samsung mp3 player that doesn't want to format his drive.
>> When I run fsck on it I get:
>>
>> # fsck.vfat -rtlV -v /dev/sdb1
>> dosfsck 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
>> dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
>> Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
>> Boot sector contents:
>> System ID "MSDOS5.0"
>>
> <-----------------[ snip ]----------------->
>
>> I have tried mkdosfs with no luck.
>> I will appreciate very much if anyone can tell mi what to do to get it
>> back to work.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> What kind of error did you get with mkdosfs? Did you remember to
> specify that you wanted a FAT32 file system? (-F 32).
>
> Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel, but there wasn't an error. There wasn't any effect also.
I have tried several times with -F 16, because fsck reported:
First FAT starts at byte 512 (sector 1)
        2 FATs, 16 bit entries
Then I have tried with -F 32, again with no success. As I sad mkdosfs
didn't report any error, however in dmesg I saw several resets of the
device during the mkdosfs process. After that when I remount the player
all the files are still there, and the player itself again doesn't see them.
Peter