Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 16:33:21 UTC 2007

--- Al Graziano <al.graziano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can anybody point me to some reading to better
> understand how Fedora
> loads modules, in which order and from which
> directories etc.,
> especially with regards to Fedora 6. I've read a lot
> around but nothing
> that gives me a firm idea
>
> I am trying to understand how I can install certain
> modules at boot up
> and conversely how I can  change a  module from
> being installed
> automatically to manually using modprobe. In order
> to do that I need to
> know more about modules that installed at bootup
>
> Thanks in advance
> Al
>
> --

If you want to add some modules at bootup, you need to
add them to /etc/modprobe.conf with a particular line
for them.  For instance, I have a smartlink modem,
which gets loaded automatically with the line added to
modprobe.conf.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 3c59x
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ali5451 index=0
remove snd-ali5451 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
>/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
--ignore-remove snd-ali5451
install slamr modprobe --ignore-install
ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr;
test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0
c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp uucp /dev/slamr0)

To not automatically load them at bootime, there is a
file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist which lists the one
that you do not want loaded at bootup time,

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
#
# Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts
from loading it.
# Usually that'd be so that some other driver will
bind it instead,
# no matter which driver happens to get probed first.
Sometimes user
# mode tools can also control driver binding.
#
# Syntax:  driver name alone (without any spaces) on a
line. Other
# lines are ignored.
#

# watchdog drivers