view function of Bind 9

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:24:07 UTC 2007

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

>> Is your server the official public server for a registered domain name?
>>   If not, you just want to provide only the private addresses for the
>> names even though you configure the server to be primary for the zone.
>> Some other server (or service) may be providing public dns with the
>> names of any machine you want to be available from the internet and the
>> corresponding public addresses.  Even though named can do both at once I
>> find it easier to run it on different machines and point local clients
>> at the one with the private addresses.
>>

> Yes, the domain name is registered...
> So, how can I config the DNS ?

I have always pointed the public registration at a different server than
the one used by internal machines behind the NAT so I can't help with
configuring views on a single server, although I believe it is supposed
to be supported.  These directions might work:
http://www.openaddict.com/bind9_views_for_dns_zones.html

Some other responses have mentioned letting the NAT router do it for you
by adjusting the address on responses to outside queries.  Some routers
do have that capability (I think the Cisco PIX is one), but not all can
do it and the configuration would be specific to the type.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com