Question on MBR of SATA Raid 1 Software

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:23:34 UTC 2007

On 4/1/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 21:14:56 -0400,
>   Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What I can't seem to do is get my RAID1 set to boot in the first
> > place. I tried to install F7test3 using the SiI 3112 controller (and
> > consequently dmraid) but it doesn't boot.
>
> Are you sure that grub will work with dmraid?

>From what I've read, it ought to.

> Unless you have a surprisingly good raid controller on your motherboard,
> I would recommend using linux's software raid rather than the raid
> controller.

I believe that the SiI 3112 is surpassingly craptastic ... However, it
is the only option that allows me to RAID both my windows partition
and my Fedora partition. What I find surpising is that Windows has
remained oblivious to the whole thing and has booted consistently.

> This should work. You might have to tell the bios not to use raid at all.
> Also note, that when using linux's software raid, you won't have access
> to what was on the drives when you were using the raid controller.
>
> I have been using software raid for several years under fedora. For sure
> I have tested it with FC4, FC5, FC6 and F7. I might have also tried it with
> FC3.

I did try to fall back to setting up a software RAID but was thwarted
by anaconda telling me something like "this configuration is
unavailable on this platform" as soon as I hit the RAID button in the
partitioning step. Maybe this is just a bug in the latest test
installer.

/Mike