Linux webcams for dummies

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Mon Apr 2 14:12:59 UTC 2007

Michael A Peters wrote:
> I've not purchased any hardware and I will not be doing this until next
> year. I want to start looking into what is needed now though.

Not sure if this is entirely suitable but you might want to consider a
decent network camera that has built-in motion detection and the ability
to upload images via FTP. To recommend a few brands, check out Axis,
Mobotix, Sony, Panasonic. They all make decent network cameras (aka IP
cameras), although mainly for CCTV purposes. Some of them are quite high
end so if you're on a tight budget, Axis or Sony are likely to be the
best bet.

Chris.