cups-lpd: Unable to reserve port: Permission denied

Albert de Jongh fedora-list at skaap.za.org
Mon Apr 2 14:27:02 UTC 2007

I think this is related to selinux :-)  I did not see any messages in my
/var/log/audit... logs about this, but if you do a "setenforce Permissive"
(as root), and try printing your job again it will work.
(Just remember to enable selinux again)

I installed selinux-policy-* updates on 28 March - see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-March/msg00087.htmlfor
more details about the relevant selinux packages.  There is stuff in
that post about hi_reserved_port_t - which is the range of ports that lpd is
complaining it can't access.

I see also that there are posts in the cups bug mailing list about this.  I
could not figure out what selinux mailing list to post this to.