missing xorgcfg

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Mon Apr 2 22:33:41 UTC 2007

Frode Petersen skrev:
> Aaron Konstam skrev:
>> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 16:04 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
>>> Hi. I have a xorg config problem I'm trying to sort out. When I
>>> wanted to create a new xorg.conf from scratch, I discovered that
>>> xorgcfg and xorgconfig both were missing. Are these removed from the
>>> fedora x packages or do I have a faulty install?
>>
>> It looks like xorg.conf comes from xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-47.7.fc6.
>> However, when I executed:
>> rpm -qf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> It said it belonged to no package. Very confusing.
>
> Thanks, I'll look there.
>
>> xorgcfg and xorgconfig do not exist.
>
> Hmm...these are tools for creating a new xorg.conf file from scratch;
> the first through probing the system, the other from user choices. I
> thought they were part of the standard xorg install, but I'll check up
> on that.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Regards,
> Frode

It seems like Fedora/RedHat removes the standard tools in favor of
system-config-display. An example of making normal life easier, but
creates extra work when you want to do something out of the ordinary.

Wonder whether it would be wise to take the tools out of an official
xorg package, don't know what dependencies exist inside that system.

I just wish removed parts could make it into Extras as a separate
package when Fedora chooses to alter what is coming from upstream,
unless there are incompatibilities. Then we get to choose our tools.

Btw, have anyone else got a xorg.conf with no entries in sections
'files' and 'modules'? The only tool I know I've been toying with since
installing FC6 is system-config-display, before that only anaconda
during install. That's why I want the probing xorgcfg, to see what a
normal xorg.conf for my system would look like.

Regards,
Frode