missing xorgcfg

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 22:37:58 UTC 2007

--- Frode Petersen <fropeter at online.no> wrote:

> Frode Petersen skrev:
> > Aaron Konstam skrev:
> sort out. When I
> discovered that
> these removed from the
> >>
> >> It looks like xorg.conf comes from
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-47.7.fc6.
> >> However, when I executed:
> >> rpm -qf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >> It said it belonged to no package. Very
> confusing.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll look there.
> >
> >> xorgcfg and xorgconfig do not exist.
> >
> > Hmm...these are tools for creating a new xorg.conf
> file from scratch;
> > the first through probing the system, the other
> from user choices. I
> > thought they were part of the standard xorg
> install, but I'll check up
> > on that.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Frode
> >

> It seems like Fedora/RedHat removes the standard
> tools in favor of
> system-config-display. An example of making normal
> life easier, but
> creates extra work when you want to do something out
> of the ordinary.
>
> Wonder whether it would be wise to take the tools
> out of an official
> xorg package, don't know what dependencies exist
> inside that system.
>
> I just wish removed parts could make it into Extras
> as a separate
> package when Fedora chooses to alter what is coming
> from upstream,
> unless there are incompatibilities. Then we get to
> choose our tools.
>
> Btw, have anyone else got a xorg.conf with no
> entries in sections
> 'files' and 'modules'? The only tool I know I've
> been toying with since
> installing FC6 is system-config-display, before that
> only anaconda
> during install. That's why I want the probing
> xorgcfg, to see what a
> normal xorg.conf for my system would look like.
>
> Regards,
> Frode
>
> --

Don't use xorgcfg if you cannot find it/or is not in
there.  You can always do

# Xorg -configure
Then test the configuration, instructions will appear
after you run Xorg -configure.  If you are
satisfied/happy with it, copy it back to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  That will be the normal xorg.conf
generated by xorg tools.  xorgcfg was the old way of
doing it, if I am not mistaken.

Regards,

Antonio