missing xorgcfg

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Apr 3 00:58:22 UTC 2007

On 03Apr2007 01:54, Frode Petersen <fropeter at online.no> wrote:
| Antonio Olivares skrev:
| >You can always do
| >
| ># Xorg -configure
| >Then test the configuration, instructions will appear
| >after you run Xorg -configure.  If you are
| >satisfied/happy with it, copy it back to
| >/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  That will be the normal xorg.conf
| >generated by xorg tools.  xorgcfg was the old way of
| >doing it, if I am not mistaken.
|
| I did try that, but the Xserver kept aborting for some reason. Didn't
| try to figure out why, though. Guess I'll try that road again with a
| little more persistence this time.

Yes, and I had Xorg -configure produce a suboptimal config for me just
last night (for perfectly valid reasons as far as it knew, looking at the log;
the 1024x768 res for the laptop I was setting up didn't match its idea
of available vert and horiz sync rates).

A run of system-config-display let me tell it it had a "generic 1024x768
LCD display" and all was well.

Personally, I prefer "Xorg -configure" first, and system-config-display
second. Your call.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Do not taunt Happy Fun Coder.