Nameserver Problem [more] -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Apr 3 01:02:45 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 08:18 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>>

>>> Do I understand that I should edit   "200 ; serial"

>>> "20070402 ; serial"
>>>
>>> in  /var/named/chroot/etc/dead.zone
>>>
>> Yes, that would be considered "good practice".
>>

> Better yet,
>
>     200704021  ; serial
>
> for the first change today,
>
>     200704022  ; serial
>
> for the second and so on.

Ok gentlemen, I thank you.  There's nothing like an example to make a
thing clear.  I have made innumerable changes today in the course of my
experimenting so I'll settle for 200704021.

This has really effected an improvement on how some of the pages are
presented, especially with the inherent delay in this satellite ISP.
Data can be transferred at a good rate but there's always at least 500
ms minimum plus whatever the delays associated with getting data from
other servers.  It can be maddening at times, watching it collect stuff
that I don't even see, before the text I want comes up on the screen.
Most of the ads are filtered from Firefox with the Adblock extension.
But that doesn't eliminate the wait for them to be delivered.

Bob Goodwin